What a mess. This is how my kitchen looks after one insane batch of cookie making with friends. Messy cooks are good cooks right?
Okay, so hero is the recipe.
CAUTION!!! EVERY RECIPE IS HIGH ALTITUDE!!
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup of turbanido sugar
- 1 tsp. Ener-G egg replacer plus 2 tbsp water (or one more banana, or 1 Tbsp Flax Seeds plus 3 Tbsp water for extra Omega-3 goodness!)
- 1 cup of mashed bananas (about 2 ½ large bananas)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 cups of flour (actually, more like 3, because i just kept adding handfuls until it looks like cookie dough instead of banana bread)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground mace or nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
- walnuts to taste
Steps1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix the applesauce and sugar together until blended. Add the Ener-G/"egg" and continue to mix.
2 In a bowl, mix the mashed bananas and baking soda. Let sit for 2 minutes. The baking soda will react with the acid in the bananas and make them rise. (Isn't that cool!!!?)
3 Mix the banana mixture into the applesauce/sugar mixture.
4 Mix together the flour, salt, and spices and sift into the applesauce/sugar and banana mixture and mix until just combined. If the batter is really thin at this point, keep adding flour until it looks like cookie dough. It will be different for everyone
5 Fold into the batter the walnuts if using. Drop in dollops onto greased baking sheet. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until nicely golden brown. Let cool on wire racks. Make sure to take these cookies off the pan right away to prevent sticking and losing any banana goodness.
Makes about 24 large cookies.
“Banananana Ice Cream”
- 1 bunch large banana’s (or however big a batch you want to make, 1 bunch of 5 or 6 worked for all the ice cream plus using 3 for the cookies)
1 THE NIGHT BEFORE- Unwrap every banana and place in separate plastic bags (reuse your bags! I used newspaper bags) and then place in the freezer overnight
2 THE NEXT DAY- Using a food processer or a blender, mash up the bananas until mostly smooth. It should look like ice cream!
3 Put in a medium bowl and place in the freezer until you are ready to make sandwiches
1. Take 2 cookies and put them on a plate
2. Put ice cream on top (2 to 3 spoonfuls worked well)
3. Sandwich together