Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Backpacking Year 2

So last year I posted some backpacking food, but I have to say, this year was better.
Here is the hummus wrap I got when we stopped for lunch in Buena Vista. I love this kind of thing.


This is the chili we brought for the 1st night,
Recipe?
1 cup dehydrated pinto beans
1 cup dehydrated kidney beans
8 oz dehydrated salsa (see below)
1 cup dried TVP
1 Package Taco Seasoning Mix (or Chili)
5 cups water

Using a dehydrator or your oven, dehydrate the beans and the salsa. For the salsa, I put mine on a plate and it took a while, but it eventually turned into a leather that you could tear into pieces. Add the beans, salsa, and TVP together and store for packing. 
At Camp: When you get to camp, add all ingredients together and cook for 15 minutes. 
(I suppose you could add the seasoning at home, but I added it at camp to prevent losing some in transit from bag to bag.)


No comments:

Post a Comment